The Institute for Excellence in Memory Care transforms memory care by defining standards of excellence, cultivating memory care professionals, and introducing sustainable certification criteria for the dementia care community.
Professional Training for Memory Care Staff
The Institute for Excellence in Memory Care provides professional dementia care consultation and training for healthcare providers who want to offer superior memory care, outpace their competitors and create a true person-centered care model. Two levels of professional certification are available.
These certifications represent your commitment to providing optimal care to those living with dementia and their loved ones. Each professional certification through IEMC is renewable every two (2) years.
- We will provide the knowledge for professional learners to establish and maintain a true person-centered care model for their settings.
- We will impart knowledge to help professional learners create care environments with positive outcomes and eliminate excess disability for their populations.
- We will provide an appreciation for what is possible for those with dementia and help professional learners reframe their thinking to a strength-based focus.
- We will teach professional learners to understand that life is an activity of being and doing and in this being and doing comes the quality of life we all seek.
- We will educate professional learners how to assist those they serve to live peacefully and successfully with their dementia disease process.
- We will help you and your staff successfully navigate the ever-changing regulatory climate.
Give your organization the edge
Learn and Grow
The Institute for Excellence in Memory Care Dementia Curriculum
Dementia Care with HEART© has been reviewed by the Alzheimer’s Association® and meets the Alzheimer’s Association Dementia Care Practice Recommendations in the following topics:
- Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia Awareness
- Strategies for Caring for the Person with Dementia
- Communications and Behaviors
- Social Needs and Activities
- Eating Well
- Reducing Pain
- Restraint Free Care
- End-of-Life Care
Certified Memory Care Professional Certification (CMCP)
This entry-level, three-session training is designed for direct care staff and their leaders who wish to advance
their education to the next tier. Upon completion of this twenty-one (21) hour course, each student will earn
their certification as a Certified Memory Care Provider.
Individuals must obtain fifteen (15) total CEU hours to recertify — ten (10) must be through IEMC.
Qualified Memory Care Professional Certification (QMCP)
This thirty-five (35) hour advanced level certification includes the CMCP 3-session basic certification class and adds two (2) additional sessions specifically designed for Directors and Managers. The focus of these additional sessions includes operations, regulatory issues, leadership skills, team building, and teaching adult learners. Upon completion of this course, each participant will earn their certification as a Qualified Memory Care Professional.
Individuals must obtain twenty (20) total CEU hours to recertify — ten (10) must be through IEMC.
End-of-Life Dementia Care Professional Certification (EDCP)
Dementia Care with HEART: Community & Homebound Services Dementia Training Kit
Pre-Recorded Webinars: Education at Your Convenience
Pre-Recorded Webinars Available
- Introduction to Expressive Arts in Memory Care
- Program Ideas for the Fellas
- Montessori Programming in Dementia Care
- Dining with Dementia
- Re-Inspire the Fire
- Dementia Care and Medications
- Lewy Body Dementia: 101
- Frontotemporal Disorders: 101
- Dealing with Family Caregiver Denial
- Helping Families with Challenging Roles
- Understanding Apathy
- Respond -vs- React: Staying Cool When Behavioral Expressions Happen
- Home or Institution? Making a Person Centered Home
- Getting to Know Me Through Activities
- Person Directed Care Plans
- Huntington's Disease: 101
- Comorbidities and Dementia
- I Swear! It's REAL! Confabulation, Hallucinations, and Delusions
- Helping Families Cope with the "New Normal"
Patty Piechocki, CTRS, QMCPprogramming and continuing education manager
Patty Piechocki comes to the Institute for Excellence in Memory Care with over 27 years of experience in the geriatric field. She is a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Therapist and is a Qualified Memory Care Professional through the IEMC. Patty has worked in a variety of roles in memory support units, skilled nursing, assisted living, independent and day programs, as well as in physical rehabilitation units. Her passion focuses on Alzheimer’s and Dementia care where her background in therapeutic programming has allowed her to design, implement, and educate professionals in best practices in memory care.
Contact Patty Piechocki at email@example.com or call 574-232-4121.